Monday, September 18, 2006

Rioja Reserva 2002, Berberana

This baby was wine of the week at Majestics, otherwise known as the wacky wine warehouse, and so we got to taste a little before purchase. And the verdict was good, and so the gang ended up buying a few bottles. I'm new to the Rioja region, this one's 80% Tempranillo and 20% Grenache, which is typical for a red Rioja. I had had some Tempranillo experience in Australia, I think they grow it in Mildura and maybe a bit in Rutherglenn.

The wine smelt beautiful, I'm such a sucker for aromatic wines, with lots of obvious vanilla and "pudding" smells. With two years over oak, it's probably on the upper level of oaki-ness for me, but it gave the wine a nice dry finish. Didn't quite suck your tongue out of your face, but would definitely be best to be drunk with food rather than without. This bottle was enjoyed with a Turkish salad and cheese at a friend's place. Nice :)

The label says:
A perfectly made Rioja with at least two years ageing in oak. Delicious vanilla overtones backed up by juicy soft strawberry flavours.

Overall: I might not buy this particular one again, but I am definitely going to explore more of this delicious Spanish varietal!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Retro Seamstress said...

I have to admit that a wine blog is much better than a whine blog.

Cheers darling :)

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home