Friday, November 03, 2006

Chénas 2005, Cave du Château de Chénas

As it is written in the lyrics of The Alan Parsons Project song : "Beaujolais and I go crazy"

Finally that mysterious French word has meaning and the meaning is ALLLL good. It's just the kind of wine I adore, no matter how unfashionable it may be right now. Call me retero, but this style of wine floats my boat. Beaujolais red is 100% Gamay, a grape that isn't well known in Australia, but could be the "next big thing". At the moment Pinot Noir is enjoying much fame amoungst alternative quaffers, and I think that those enamored by the more subtle, seductive reds could be turned onto this stuff.. Meanwhile, I have France on my doorstep and I intend to indulge.

As for tonights bottle, it was selected ad hoc from the wacky wine warehouse (the other www) as part of a buy two bottles of Beaujolais get 20% off deal. Sweet.

On the nose: It smells like strawberries and cream lollies! A delicious invitation, caramel, vanilla, sugar, berries.

In the mouth: Soft deep dark cherries, well balanced acidity, well structured soft tannins, wet (as in not dry) and lingering loveliness...


Overall: I'm keen to try more and more from the Beaujolais region. And this one is a keeper :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home