Monday, December 04, 2006

Beaujolais versus Rioja

My new mission in life, aside from saving the world, is to convert everyone to drinking Beaujolais. One bottle at a time. And perhaps Aim 2 will segue nicely into Aim 1 ...

I began evangelising a few weekends ago, which lead the new apprentice and I to these consumptions:

Louis Latour Beaujolais-Lancie 2005

This wine was a bit fresh for the first two mouthfuls, I should have let it breath for a while, but i was impatient to begin my weekend. A few good swirls and it settled down to the dreamy cherry flavours that i love. It had good acidity and was tight and dry, as well as red and fruity. Possibly a bit young at this point, but I am hopeless at leaving wine to age!


Beaujolais Villages, Domaine des Cotes de la Moliere 2002

Simply delicious. Amazing deep strawberry, so soft you could fall into it and drift away without even noticing. Absolutely beautiful and went so well with all the cheese. MMMMmmmmm.... cheese.

I'm not quite sure who's idea it was to open the third bottle (note to self: stop at the second bottle)

Rioja Crianza 2003 CVNE

I hardly think it fair to review a rioja after two bottles of beaujolais (i had help!) as this baby has a lot more hand than the first two. However, I do recall it being firm, but fair, with lots of yummy vanilla. Or at least that's what the tasting notes tell me :) I do love rioja though, so i'll be sampling this one again soon, no doubt. I might even let it go first next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home